The BIG Bi Week Ahead
Every week we round-up the bi events around the UK from quiet meetups over coffee to bold banner-waving on parades. This week’s a bit special with lots of extra events for Bi Visibility Day.
Monday in London it’s the Over 50s Bi Group at 6pm at AgeUK, Tavis House, Tavistock Square.
Tuesday in Manchester there’s the BiPhoria bi pub night, at the Waterhouse pub next to the town hall from 8pm. Look for a cuddly lion or unicorn on the table.
Elsewhere in Derby from 6pm at the LGBT Centre it’s the talky-space meetup BiDentity, and in Swansea from 7.45pm Bi Swansea meet at Mozarts, Walter Road; text 07982 308812 for more details.
Finally, in London, ParliOUT have a special meeting for LGB&T parliamentary staff, with bi speakers. Info here.
Wednesday pop along to the LGBT Centre for Health & Wellbeing, 9 Howe St, Edinburgh from 7pm for the monthly Bi & Beyond meeting.
On the eve of Bi Visibility Day the diary steps up a notch. It’s your final chance to sign up for this year’s Big Bi Tweet, which goes live on Friday morning.
London LGBT Professionals network hold a Bi Visibility In The Workplace event with Inga Beale. Tickets have sadly sold out (a couple of weeks ago!). Also in London the Bi Meetup group has its monthly social at the O Bar, Soho, 730pm: more here.
Over in Manchester there is a bi talk at the Co-Op national HQ, which is a staff event so you’ll need to work there to attend. 12.30pm start. Later in Manchester there’s a bi film screening, of “The Comedian”, at LGBT Foundation, from 6.30pm.
In Southampton Bi group Bi Wessex have their monthly social meetup, at Cafe Momento, 5pm. Info here.
And in Swansea there will be Bi awareness and info stalls at the University – at Singleton Campus: Fulton House, ground floor 12pm-2pm and at Bay Campus: Engineering reception. More here.
Happy Bi Visibility Day! Surely the busiest day of the bi year. It’s the 18th year that Bi Visibility Day has been marked on September 23rd and that it falls on a Friday this year really seems to have helped focus events on the date.
For this we’re just going to cut to a bullet-pointed list as there is so much to cover.
- Aberdeen: Bi Bowling. Robert Gordon University LGBT+ Staff Networking is organising a Bi Visibility Day Bowling Night at Codonas, Sunset Boulevard 7pm. For info, email [email protected]
- Belfast Bi Visibility Week Social – The Spaniard, BT1 2DZ. Facebook event here.
- Birmingham. Bi pub crawl. Begin at the Dragon Inn, Hurst St at 7pm… More info here.
- Bolton. Council fly the bi flag and outside the Town Hall there will be a street stall as part of Bolton Pride organised by BiPhoria.
- Brighton. Council fly the bi flag and there’s a social meetup at Creams, ice cream parlour, 86 Western Road, Brighton BNO 2LW. 3pm to 6pm organised by Brighton Bothways.
- Brighton. Social meetup at the Yellow Book, a steampunk bar, 3 York Place. BN1 6LU. Starts 630pm; organised by Brighton Bothways.
- Bristol. Launch of Purple Prose bi book. Hydra bookshop, 7pm. More here.
- Derby. “View from the Bi Bridge” documentary screening and discussion. LGBT Centre, 7 Bramble St, 6-8pm.
- Edinburgh. Bi+ Visibility Day 101 Workshop! at University of Edinburgh, Teviot Dining Room, 13 Bristo Square, EH8 9AJ Edinburgh. Informative and empowering workshop on bi visibility, biphobia and more. 18.00 – 19.00; web link here.
- Edinburgh. “Queer Bi Night” fundraiser for local LGBT Health Centre. Info here.
- Edinburgh. Bi Furious: Edinburgh Club night celebrating all things bi+ if you fancy something dancey. At University of Edinburgh, Teviot Underground, 13 Bristo Square, EH8 9AJ 22.00 – 03.00. web link here
- Glasgow. Bi Visibility drama, sketches and discussion around biphobia and bi experience. At 46 Trongate from 6pm. More here.
- Leeds. Bi Voices & after party. Details here, organised by Leeds Bi Group.
- Leeds. The Civic Hall will fly the bi flag to mark the date and will be lit up purple for the night.
- Leicester. 12noon – 2pm celebration with Bis of Colour at LGBT Centre. Info here.
- London. University of Greenwich Bi Visibility student social. Meet 6.30pm Bar Latitude, wear purple if you have any! More here.
- Manchester. University building will fly the bi flag, and there’ll be an online bi quiz organised by the LGBT staff network.
- Manchester. Comedy, music & performance night at Gullivers, from 730pm. More here.
- Oxford. Bi flag will be flown from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, next door to the Town Hall.
- Swansea. Unity LGBT Centre will be open 10am-9pm for drop-ins from the Bi community to come together. All allies are welcome too. 71 High Street, Swansea, SA1 1LN.
- Wakefield. West Yorkshire Police HQ flies the bi flag for the day.
On Saturday the focus seems to be in the North – Leeds have a bisexual street stall on Lands Lane from noon to 4pm, while Leeds Frontrunners running group will be out running in purple and there’s a bi bike ride from 2pm: meet at the Fearnville Leisure Centre.
In Manchester the LGBT Foundation and BiPhoria are combining to host an afternoon with discussion space, boardgaming, raffle and trip to a local bi-related exhibition.
In London there will be a training event for future bisexual role models, organised by Stonewall.
So far this looks comparatively quiet, though that’s still quite a busy Sunday.
There will be a Stall at Bolton Pride Community Expo in Victoria Square organised by BiPhoria, and Brum Bi Coffee meeting from 1.30pm for a brew in Birmingham. In Leeds, Leeds Bi Group meet from 2pm-4pm at Mesmac, Blayds Yard, for an afternoon of board gaming. There will be a bi speaker in the closing ceremony of Bolton Pride as well.